Narrow home defeat to Newry

Dundela 2-3 Newry City @Wilgar Park 28/01/17 League


A  hat-trick from striker Mark McCabe helped Newry City grab a vital win in a great game for the neutral at Wilgar.
Newry had a great chance to open the scoring after only 5 minutes, Mark McCabe cutting the Dundela defence open giving  Carville a run-on goal, Jonathan Sergeant was quickly off his line to block Carville’s shot. The visitors followed this up with another half chance, Johnston whipping in a cross for Patton to deflect onto the roof of the net with a glancing header. Play was end to end, the Newry goal getting a scare when James Sofley broke down the left wing before fizzing the ball across the face of the Newry net, the danger cleared by McCabe at the back post.
Newry obviously had their homework done with a changed game plan to hit the twin strike force of McCabe and Carville with long passes and this paid off after 22 minutes when Mark McCabe contested a long ball on the edge of the Dundela penalty area, McCabe the first to react after Sergeant misjudged the bouncing ball, the Newry striker grabbing the opportunity to stroke the ball through Dundela defenders into the net to give Newry the lead.
Dundela also had chances, Murphy producing a fine save to turn a shot from Ben Roy around the post. The final chance of the half came Newry’s way, Murphy delivered a long kick out for Mark McCabe to win, knocking the ball down to Carville who to pulled his shot wide of the far post.
HT 0-1

The home side were quickly out of the blocks in the second half and soon had Newry on the back foot so much so that it looked only a matter of time until the equalizer came, a mixture of bad luck, bad finishing and an excellent save from Murphy keeping the Newry goal intact. However, the pressure had to tell and the equalizer duly arrived after 53 minutes, Roy unfortunate when his effort smacked off the post but the rebound fell perfectly for Mark McCelland to drill the ball past Murphy. With their tail’s up Dundela quickly went a goal up, McCelland setting up Jamie Jackson some 25 yards from goal, the winger giving the Newry keeper little chance with a dipping shot which ripped into the top of the Newry net to give his side the lead.
The away side were soon level however when the ball  broke favourably for Mark McCabe to score, shooting across Sergeant, the ball hitting the far top corner of the Dundela goal for a precision finish. Newry regained the lead on 65 minutes with a goal set up by the quick thinking of Thomas McCann, his free kick aimed to the feet of Carville on the edge of the penalty area not dealt with by Dundela, McCabe once more alert to the chance latching onto the loose ball before firing an unstoppable shot high into the Dundela net to give Newry a 3-2 lead.

And that’s how it stayed for the remaining 25 minutes despite Newry losing Carville for successive yellow cards. That’s not to say Dundela didn’t have their chances to equalize the best of which came after 70 minutes when McCelland, who enjoyed 90 minutes of battle with Newry’s Marcus McKeown, managed to shake off his marker and looked to be clear for a run-on goal only for a challenge from Paddy Mooney who got across to clear the danger and ultimately secure the points for Newry.
FT 2-3



This entry was posted in Reports. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *